Monday, May 23, 2011

My Bonnie Went Over the Mountain

Mr. Borg, Bonnie and Fala at the FDR Memorial, DC

I went to Catoctin Mountain in Maryland with my best friend, Cissie. We took our dogs, Borg (who would wag his tail the whole time he was getting ready to bite you) and Bonnie (who had no faults whatsoever).


Bonnie, a sweet, sweet dog, spotted a deer and ran to the top of the hill for a better look. I called her, she looked at me, looked at the deer, looked at me, then a moment pregnant with suspense -- and she was off! I was afraid that I would never see her again. Cissie, on the other hand, was very calm, saying, "She'll be back," with that smooth, wise voice she has.


Bonnie did come back.


When she was done.


I don't ever want to forget that day and the way she looked at me just before she disappeared. Having the time of her life. Running through the woods, up and down the hills, chasing a deer. It just doesn't get better than that, does it?


What a wonderful day that was. Cissie and me and our beloved dogs. It just doesn't get better than that, does it?


In loving memory of Bonnie and Mr. Borg.

No comments:

Post a Comment